Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: How many hiboy girls does it take to screw on a light bulb?

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    HiboyGal is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 32 Ford Hi Boy Roadster

How many hiboy girls does it take to screw on a light bulb?

Just one, if she gets help from the WHOLE FORUM that is

It was brought to my attention tonight that one of my rear brake lights is kaputs. I bought the bulb on my way home but have one question:

How do I access the bulb:

1- unscrew lense? or
    2- access it from inside trunk...

If the answer is #1 then I have another question: My lenses seem to be FUSED to my body . Not even a screwdriver seem to be able to lift them off the rubber mounts. I briefly considered trying a dynamite stick.... But it could be a bit messy so... is there a trick? or should I destory my rubber mount and chrome lense caps?

Thanks you guys!

Sweet dreams

Hiboy Girl (drying off nicely)
    FAITH

animalracer is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '56 Plymouth Belvedere

If the lenses seem fused to the rest of the light, there should be an access panel to the back of the lights in the trunk. Once you get to where you can see the back of the light, follow the wires to where they enter the light body. There should be a plug-like deal there. Turn it counter-clockwise, and it should come out with the bulb attached.
    No, if you were me, you'd do it just like I did.
    Animal

R Pope is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Sounds like someone has used gasket goo to keep moisture out. Maybe you could post a picture? They could be frenched! Doesn't sound like it, with chrome and screws and all, but they shouldn't be that hard to pop off.

cffisher is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 57 chevy 2 dr wagon

I have a better question. Is the light out on your daily driver or your roadster??? got picture would make it easier.
    Charlie
    Lovin' what I do and doing what I love
    Some guys can fix broken NO ONE can fix STUPID
    W8AMR
    http://fishertrains94.webs.com/
    Christian in training

R Pope is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Okay, went to your website and found pics. '39 Ford teardrop taillights, not frenched. The chrome ring holds the lens on. If they are repro's, maybe the socket can be removed from inside the trunk, originals can't be.

C9x
    C9x is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Deuce Highboy roadster

Stock or re-pro you can't access the bulb from the trunk.

There's a bit of a trick with the 39 taillights.

Unscrew and remove the slot head screw at the bottom of the chrome trim ring.

Push the chrome trim ring up while pulling gently out on the trim ring at the bottom.
    Almost always you can do this by hand and no tools required.
    Keep finger pressure on the glass lense or it will slide out when the trim ring is pushed up far enough
    What happens here is the trim ring compresses the rubber gasket for a weather-tight seal and once it's slid up far eough it'll pop off.

Be careful you don't drop the glass lense when the trim ring pops loose.
    (The trim ring has a tab at the top that hooks to the raised flat portion of the taillight housing proper.)

A couple of cautions:
    Place a piece of carpet under your work area in case you do drop the lense.
    (I use a high-low cut loop style carpet, but any carpet that's somewhat plush will do the trick.)
    Fwiw, I keep several pieces of carpet in the garage to save the knees when kneeling as well as it's a cushioned insulator between me and the concrete garage floor.

Aside from the tab at the top, the trim ring is designed to hook around the raised edge of the taillight housing.

What you may want to do while you have the lense off is pull the other one, mask things off and spray the interior of the taillight bucket with white gloss rattle can paint.
    I have silver paint in mine and you'd think it would be the best, but a friend of mine ran some light meter tests and found gloss white was best.
    (Be sure you don't get paint in the bulb socket.)

You'll be surprised at how much brighter the taillights will be.

Along those same lines, you can replace the #1157 bulb with a Halogen bulb from Bob Drake.
    It's a direct replacement and uses the same base as the #1157.
    These draw more power so be sure your wiring and fuse are up to the task.
    (I put a set in my 32 roadsters 39 taillights and no problems wiring-wise.)

Recently I heard that there is a #2057 bulb out there that's a direct and brighter replacement for the #1157.

It'll be interesting to see how they work.

The bright bulbs sold by some aftermarket wiring suppliers may be no more than a standard bulb for a lower voltage.
    In other words, the #1157 bulb may be rated for 12-13 volts and the bright bulbs rated for 10-11 volts.
    Problem here is, low voltage bulbs don't last all that long.

Anyway, I strongly encourage you to paint the inside of your taillight housings.
    A brush and some good quality white enamel - One Shot? - will do the job if you don't want to do the mask and spray drill....
    Last edited by C9x; 03-21-2007 at 07:02 AM.
    C9

HiboyGal is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 32 Ford Hi Boy Roadster

C9, that was a great post, thank for taking the time to explain everything in details. So maybe if I push up and I pull the ring off, it will help, I will try tonight. I believe I might have original sockets, I can touch the bulb from the inside but inmpossible to unscrew it, so I concur things will have to be done from the outside. OK I will try the white gloss trick. As far as lense, I currently have devil heads as lenses. the car came with them and I wanted to put back the original lenses that the owner also gave me. But since they chrome ring was fused, well, the rest is history. Meawhile everybody keeps commenting and complimenting on my devilhead tail lights. Go figure.

Since the carpenter from Nazareth is my life's guide and teacher, the devil shaped tail lights at first caused a bit of a dilemma for me. I wanted them off my car. But they seemed "fused" to it. Now I look at them as my "daredevil" tail lights and no longer pay any attention to them. The devil is definitely NOT popular with me. So maybe I should try the other tail lights anyways, for a more traditional look. However the devil lenses do put out very good light.
    FAITH

aboner is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 27"T" 29"A" 32 3W

The devil tail lights are just a reminder that the devil is all around us, and we just need to be careful of him and his temptations.

Deuce is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 32 Roadster, 32 3W and 2004 HD " Deuce"

Here are the parts ... Stainless ring, cork gasket, tail light lense, a Modified housing and the rubber gasket that goes in between the housing and the body.

Here is a side view of the modified housing ... I can change the bulb without removing the stainless ring and lense ... I made these almost 15 years ago.

NOW ... So-Cal has them already made ... with polished aluminum housing and side access ... for $80 a pair.

Faith ... I strongly suggest you buying a set ... from So-Cal ... they are way brighter than the old ones ... the aluminum housings are specially shaped inside to reflect the light and with them being polished ... they are as bright on regular burning as yours are on with the brake lights on ... and then when you put on the brakes ... WHOA ... they are really visible.

So-Cal is in Pomona ... and has a dealer network.
    Randy
    Going 33 and 1/3 rpms in a IPOD world

C9x

Really nice Deuce.

I'll bet you had to shorten them for a rumble seat.

I shortened the ones in my 32 - it has a rumble, never again.
    I sectioned the housing, welded it back together and installed the bulb socket as it was originally - with a little help from JB Weld.

I thought of doing something along the lines you did vis a vis the bulbs in from the side when I saw how little light the 39's put out.
    We need all the help we can get with our dark colored cars.

I'd planned to install two bulbs in each housing and vent them with a short piece of tube with a filtering device so as to keep the dust out.

Then I found the Drake Halogens.
    Those along with painting the housing interior made a big difference.

I'll bet the SoCal lights you pointed out for Faith are even brighter.

I'm still liking the 39 taillights and in fact have a pair on the 31 on 32 rails roadster.
    Along with two sets of Drake Pontiac taillights sitting on the shelf.

My pal stuck a pair of Pontiac taillights on his full fendered 29 roadster and even with blue dots they were brighter than my 32's 39 tallights that now run #1157 bulbs.
    (The Halogens lasted quite a while and one of them gave up last year . . . couldn't find my spare pair of Halogens so I put #1157's in both sides for equal brightness.)

Anyway, I got enthused about the Pontiacs, but didn't make any changes.
    I may, just need to pull the 31's 39 taillights and tape the Pontiac lenses and rings on, let er sit for a while and then make up my mind....
    C9

C9x

Fwiw, last year, at a drag race/car show/swap meet at the Las Vegas Speedway I saw a vendor selling made in China re-pro taillights.

One of the guys in our gang bought a pair of 41 Chevy taillights and a pair of 39 Ford taillights for his in-progress - but a roller - 29 A sedan.
    (Two pair cuz he couldn't make up his mind and the prices were low.)

They looked not-too-bad, but the American made taillights are much better.
    Granted, more expensive, but dim taillights are something you don't want on your hot rod.

Faith, I agree with Deuce on buying the SoCal taillights for your highboy.
    Sometimes $80. is tough to come up with, but the simple fact is, hot rods are an expensive hobby and there's really no way around it....
    C9

C9x

Quote Originally Posted by HiboyGal

However the devil lenses do put out very good light.
    I'm not surprised that the devil lights put out a pretty good light.

What you don't have with them is the internal diamond faceted cut to the lenses that make them reflect light back at an oncoming car - when your lights are off at night, parked etc. - as well as disperse the light a little better than a plain red glass lense as are the devil lights.

Do a little comparing between lenses.
    Replace the burned out bulb, determine if both sides are about equal in brightness.
    Then, replace one taillight lense with a standard 39 lense.

If Mr. Highboy is in the garage nose-in, wait till dusk, leave the garage lights off, turn on the parking lights and take note of any differences in taillight light intensity.

View the taillights from both left and right angles, 45 degrees or so.

Save the devil light lenses, they'll make good trading material somewhere down the line.

Now I'll shut up for a while....
    C9

mopar34 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 34 Ply PE sdn; 57 Olds 88 J2

I've used both the original glass 39 teardrop lenses as well as the devil lenses, and neither one are that great from over 50 feet. Add blue dots and the light emissions get worse. I finally added the LED replacement bulbs for brighter light and better visibility. Don't get the cheap LED (about $10/each) as they are not much better than std bulbs. My next ones may be the units that are all LED.

robot is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 39 Ford Coupe, 32 Ford Roadster

good info for all of us

AND....an interesting choice of words for a title to a thread!!!

Deuce is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 32 Roadster, 32 3W and 2004 HD " Deuce"

UPDATE ...

Faith ... these are the tail lights I was telling you about ... I just bought a set for a friend ... I am going to get me a set also ...

80 dollars from So-Cal ... or buy them direct ... see the specs here ...

http://www.autofiberoptics.com/product2.htm
    Going 33 and 1/3 rpms in a IPOD world

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast